Tuesday, August 5, 2008

The Signing

Yesterday was our official signing, and since Steve was obviously not there to sign, I signed on his behalf. Apparently, I didn't think that process through!

I've been told that signing for a home is like signing your life away. For me, it was like autographing every single page of a 500 page book...TIMES NINE HUNDRED!

I was grateful that Anne (my Mother-in-law) came with me. She made the whole experience go by quickly. However, it was no help that the air conditioner at the Title office was broken. So, here’s me (the human furnace) and Anne (the hot-flashin’-queen!) trying to direct me through the heap of signature lines.

I signed my name, and then everywhere that Steve was to sign, I had to write (IN CURSIVE I MIGHT ADD!!) "Steven J Bell by Emily S Bell his attorney-in-fact".
I'll admit, I NEVER write in cursive. I hated it in school, and to this day, still refuse to use it for anything other than signing my own name! I would venture to say that I’ve forgotten how most of the alphabet should look in cursive. By the end of the signing, I was printing the letters and ‘hooking’ them together with lines to make it look like cursive. It literally looked like a child scribbled out Steve’s name! I was concentrating so hard on making my 5th grade penmanship legible that my hand cramped up and had to temporarily be given the nickname “Quasi”.

Now that this is out of the way, we are only waiting on a few small details. If all goes well, I could have keys in hand by next week! We're unofficially official home owners! :0)

2 comments:

John and Becky Bowler said...

Oh my word...blogging is so random. This is Becky, one of Steve's friends from highschool. :) It looks like you two are doing great!

Misty said...

Congratulations! Let me know when we can move in... ha ha. Poor you and Anne, that was great that she was able to go with you tho. Looks like Steven will have a ver nice homecoming present indeed! "Take care".
-Aunt Misty